Friday, September 21, 2018

Week 5 Story: 90.9 Sports All Day

Here is a link to my portfolio site and the updated story: Sports All Day

Welcome to 90.9 Sports All Day, I’m Maximillian Bucks and today we will be discussing the career of Ryan Ratha and what his future may hold. I’d like to start with how successful he’s been so far and whether there are any challenges that lie ahead that may slow him down a bit. Of course, I’ll be opening call lines later on for the faithful listeners who want to share their input. For now, let’s talk about Ryan. Ryan has been training his boxing skills since quite a young age, and honestly everyone can see that it has been paying off. He had several bouts lined up for him as he started out and none of them seemed to even bring a challenge. Ryan’s manager was even asked by John Devit’s manager for a bout that would pit a young hopeful against an established powerhouse. John Devit has already made a name for himself and quite frankly has been unstoppable lately. Normally this would seem unfair that Ryan is so young and inexperienced, but John must not be paying full attention to how Ryan seems to be dominating his opponents. I may be in a small minority when I say this but I fully believe that Ryan could make John regret proposing this fight. Ryan’s fighting style is unique enough that it makes preparing difficult even for someone like John Devit. Ryan’s father was actually a very successful boxer as well and Ryan shows glimpses of his father’s fighting style, but Ryan’s father had a tragic accident that took his life while Ryan was still an infant. That is one of the mysteries of Ryan’s style. I find myself asking how Ryan developed such a similar style to his father even when he never had a chance to train with him. With all of that said, I truly believe that John Devit is making a terrible mistake underestimating Ryan Ratha. But this show means nothing if it only includes my opinion, so this is where I will take the first caller of the day! Our first caller is…
In the spotlight

For this story, I wanted to include Rama's battle with Vishvamitra with a sports twist. I wanted to show that Rama is connected with Vishnu but there's a mystery around why they are so similar.
Source- Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists: Ramayana by Sister Nivedita

4 comments:

  1. Hey Eric!
    I really liked the twist you gave a traditional story to kind of be more relatable to the audience since we all listen to the radio! Doing so in a sports themed manner and as a talk show host who does an overview of the story was super creative! Where did you get the idea to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric,

    This was a fantastic story. I love that you did this from the point of view of a sports radio host. I really enjoyed this story because I used to box and Golden Gloves in high school. However, I was not skilled like Ryan. I went on to the outstanding record of 1 win and 2 losses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Eric, I absolutely loved this story! The way that you were able to make this iconic scene into a radio show was incredible. I'm a sports freak, and so I really appreciated the twist in narration to a more modern language that is so easy to follow and understand. With that said, I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eric! I actually just read this story on your portfolio website. After reading your introduction and finding out that you’re the fan at the football games yelling at the refs, it’s cool to see how your love of sports was incorporated into this story! I am interested to see your other stories this semester and to find out if sports will be incorporated into those as well. I also did enjoy the twist about making this story into a radio sports talk show

    ReplyDelete