Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Reading Notes: More Jataka Tales Part A

In the story of The Girl Monkey and the String of Pearls, I was interested to see the outcome so mild. The girl monkey waited to steal the string of pearls and when she eventually got them, I assumed that the guard would have been executed for losing the pearls. Then when the guard set up a plan to find them and lured the girl monkey out, I thought the girl monkey would be executed for taking them. Instead, it only mentioned that the guard was praised for his idea! It was just a different ending than I thought it would have. Then, as I read about the Stupid Monkeys and how they were given the task of watering the trees, it reminded me of a joke I heard years ago. In the joke, two guys were tasked with measuring the height of a flag pole. One started to lay it down to get the measurement and then the other guy said, we were told to measure the height! Not how wide it is! In the story, the monkeys were unsure of how much water the trees needed, so the leader said to pull them up and water them according to how long the roots are. It ended up killing the trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment