Friday, August 24, 2018

Growth Mindset

when I first started reading about growth mindset, it didn’t seem very appealing to me. When I read about the “not yet” story, I thought maybe it would lessen a students desire to excel. Kind of like saying “well I won’t fail, I just get a not yet and move on.” But then I realized that’s not how I react in my physical training. Even though I didn’t pass my physical fitness test, I told myself that I’ll get there eventually. Without realizing it, I’ve used a growth mindset already. I had never heard of Carol Dweck, but when I read the transcript of her Ted talk I realized the passion she had for ensuring children learn and grow without the feeling of being a let down when things don’t go their way. I loved reading about the Native American students who flipped from bottom to top with simple changes of the mindset. After learning more about this, I’ll be more aware of what mindset I have during my physical training.



I may not have passed my PT test, but I didn’t quit!
Growth Mindset Memes

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eric, I like the personal example you have given about your physical training. You are already doing 'Not Yet" in your life which is great. Once someone gives up it is very hard to get not yet. I like the picture you put, just because you fail at something does not mean you are a failure, it does not define who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric,

    I had similar thoughts when I first encountered growth mindset. However, much like you, I noticed myself employing growth mindset in my exercise routines and it has paid dividends as I progress. I also enjoyed the story of the Native American children that turned around their academic progress. Growth mindset is truly a tool to make positive changes.

    -Andy McDowell

    ReplyDelete