Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Wherever you were... my favorite place

I grew up as a momma’s boy. I used to not admit it, but it’s strangely comforting now. My mom just knew what I needed when I needed it. When I needed advice, she was my automatic go to. She never went to college, but I still asked her everything. When my wife and I moved here to Norman, I lost count how many weekends I tried to convince her to come over to our house. She loved to travel anyways so the 3 and a 1/2 hour drive wasn’t a problem . Of course she also felt special that I would rather invite her over than go out and party like the rest of everyone at age 21 and 22. I had asked her many times to go to a football game with us, but she didn’t really think she would enjoy the game and she also knew I never sat down during a game and probably wouldn't let her either. In November of 2017, I finally succeeded. There were only two games left of the regular season and she enjoyed the first game so much, she came back for the final game of the season. I couldn’t have been happier. Being in that stadium is probably one of my favorite places to be. But I realize now that my true favorite place to be was where my mother was. I’m thankful for the places we shared memories together. On Friday December 1st of 2017, right about 6:00pm, she was in a fatal car accident. I’ll never forget the phone call. But I’ll also never forget what it’s like to be in my favorite place. For now my favorite place was when my wife and I were in that stadium with my mom. But eventually, I’ll have a new favorite place to be and she’s already waiting there for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eric, here I am at this post again; I'm cycling through all the favorite places posts to leave comments. And here's something you might want to think about: sometimes people do family-based projects for their Storybook in this class. Usually that has been people who make a collection of stories for their children or grandchildren... but if you want, you could do a project in honor of your mother. So if there are some favorite Bible stories you remember sharing with her, or anything like that, stories from storytime when you were little, perhaps you would enjoy turning that into a project for this class. Anyway, you can think about that when you are brainstorming the Storybook possibilities next week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric!
    I think it's so sweet that your favorite place was where ever your mom was. I always went to my mom for advice and she was always there for me when I needed her. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing a parent. I'm glad that you have such amazing memories with her, and you got her to go to a football game. It's definitely an experience!

    ReplyDelete